Wednesday, December 16, 2009

New Pen and Journal

Saw a post online about fountain pens and how they're collected and decided to look em up. Now I have one and I want to start keeping a journal. I made a journal with some printer paper and already used up a whole cartridge of ink.
One of the recommendations for a good starter fountain pen was Lamy. I picked up the Safari model. Comes in various colors. I liked the yellow one. This one has a medium nib.

Gotta have something to write on so I ordered some journals online. But in the meantime I ran across a post about making your own journal. Seemed easy enough. So I tried it. This one has eight signatures, eight pages each. I wanted to keep it simple so I didn't make a cover. Just going to leave it as is. It's a little loose, but with the newfound knowledge of making this one, the next one will be a little tighter.

After a couple days of writing in the journal, the supplied cartridge was empty. Guess I was a little enthusiastic about keeping one.

Went to a fountain pen store and picked up some ink. I had purchased a converter when I bought the pen so I could use different inks if I wanted to.
Ink is Noodler's walnut. That's how full the bottle is. I actually thought it was a bubble at first.

Empty converter.

After cleaning the pen.

And filled with walnut goodness.

The ink on paper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good choice of pen and ink! My first Safari was yellow too. I've had a couple and they were both good writers, but sometimes had a bit of trouble with the converter not sealing fully airtight. I'm angling for a Lamy 2000 next. It's a piston-filler, so cartridges and converters shouldn't be an issue.

I've become totally a fan of the Noodlers inks. I especially like the standard Black, and the Legal Lapis. They are waterproof! And yes, they always fill the bottles to the brim that way.