Saturday, September 25, 2010

French Bread 9/24/10

I like buying the freshly baked French bread from the grocery store, but always wanted to make my own. Today I decided to take a shot.
Read about this flour online so picked up a bag. Next time I'll get the bleached kind.
After mixing and letting the dough sit for an hour
Punched down
Recipe was for two loaves, but those were gonna be too big so I split it up to four loaves
After splitting them up and shaping em, let em sit for another 45 minutes
Cut slits on top and ready to bake
30 minutes later at 450. Cooling off
Close up shot
Ripped open, ready for taste test
After eating this piece, it wasn't good at all. I dumped all of the flour in the mix instead of slowly adding the flour into the water and yeast mixture and the stuff didn't completely mix. I tried all four loaves just to see if I got lucky with one. All were duds
Take Two.
Decided to take another shot at it. I added the flour a little at a time and also used a larger bowl
Look how much more it rose
Saw a video on youtube where the lady poked the dough after it had sat. If it didn't rise, it was ready to go. Didn't rise

Once again I made four loaves instead of two. Letting rest for another 45 minutes
After resting for another 45 minutes. Now why didn't I split em up like the first time?

Cut the slits on top, ready to bake
After 30 minutes at 450. Recipe had it bake for 25 minutes and then add an egg bath and another five minutes. I don't eat the crust so I just baked it for 30 minutes straight.

Success! Much better.

How I like eating French bread. I just go for the meat and leave the skin

No comments: