Thursday, July 17, 2008

Upgrades? and Tools

I was thinking of converting the Super Jolly to doserless from the beginning. A little cleaner especially when the doser was designed for high volume cafe use anyway. So I copied a mod from the forums with a lazy man twist. The original mod used aluminum flashing, I didn't have any handy, I did buy a piece of metal which was unweildy and I just ended up destroying it because it was too hard and I didn't have the right tools. Next time definitely aluminum flashing. So I just used a piece of food packaging lexan type plastic and glued on the gasket and used the 45 degree street elbow fitting. I haven't used it too much, ran out of espresso beans but when I did, it's a doserless SJ now. The elbow fitting comes off easily for easy cleaning with a brush. I just give it a couple of knocks to get any grinds off of there first and then take it off and brush out the grinds stuck in the exit chute. Will utilize the WDT from now on especially since this was his mod.


As for tools I picked up this cute sexy little thing at my local Intelligentsia. Fire Engine red. Sexy huh? The Grindenstein knockbox, small, compact, dishwasher safe! and small enough to fit under the group for storing.

This other tool I got online. It is the Palla group brush with steaming wand pin. I was using a toothbrush and a few burns later saw this being used by the CoffeeGeek himself in his Silvia video. As you can see much more robust than a toothbrush and the ridges on on the group brush prevent hot steaming water from making its way down to your hand.

2 comments:

slyfoodie said...

When did you go to Intelligentsia without me?

mckolit said...

That one day when you weren't there.