Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What about the coffee?

Now after the cleaning and simple mods, what about the coffee?

The seller kindly supplied some beans he roasted along with the grinder. A Brazilian bean.


Tried it in a press pot first. Wasn't too sure about grind settings so I grinded too fine and steeped too long so the coffee was overextracted and bitter. Makes a good looking cup though. A ton of mud at the bottom too.


So out came the EC 701 and I went on to try and dial the Super Jolly in.


After a few tries. I believe this shot came out about one and a half ounces in about 27 seconds. Should have stopped the shot sooner as the blonde spot in the middle indicates. Was getting inconsistent shots most of the bag. The seller later informed me that those particular beans were tough to work with. Good thing I ran out or else I'd still be trying to dial it in. Still working on my espresso palate so don't have a comment on how this shot was. Maybe a bright flavor profile?


Tried my hand at some art. This one in a Starbucks Christmas season cappucino cup. I think I've measured the size of the cup at about six ounces. So this had a double shot with four ounces of steamed milk/foam. There's a heart in there, really, there is. It's not a mochaccino. It was a bitter brew. The milk barely cut through it. Still working on a routine with my espresso machine. The dark ring around the edge of the cup is an indication of high brew temps. The taste in the cup confirmed it.


So what now? I will to to the Klatch and Intelligentsia and taste some of their straight shots so that I will have something to go by when I make some shots at home. Will also get some Belle espresso beans and maybe some Black Cat from Intelligentsia and I have some Sweet Maria's Monkey blend greens to roast too. Will use the shots from the Klatch and Intelligentsia as a baseline and anything I make that doesn't taste like those will immediately be spit out and thrown into the sink. Just kidding. This stuff is expensive. I'll drink it all. That's what I did with the shot and the bitterccino in the pictures.

No comments: